Why would you want to learn how to read body language? Well, there are many benefits. Human ability to communicate is what separates us from the animals, but what do we mean by communication? We generally mean the spoken word, but communication also means written communication and body language.
Did you know that the spoken word accounts for only about 7% of all human communication? Most people think it is the main component but it’s not. If it only accounts for 7%, then what about the other 93%? Well, how you say something, as in the tone of voice, the pitch, the volume and the cadence accounts for 38% of communication. That’s more than the words themselves.
Which means that the lions share of communication is expressed through physiology, in other words, body language! All the body movements whether conscious or subconscious conveys a message and signal to those around.
Simple body language can be read by you subconsciously, we always pickup cues from those we are engaging whether we are aware of it or not. If the other person is constantly moving and shifting, we get an unconscious ‘awareness’ that they are restless. It could also convey the sense of uneasiness.
When we are talking to someone, good eye contact conveys the message of trust, interest and engagement. It’s often said that we are less trusting of those who do not engage in much eye contact.
These are just two simple examples of how body language is involved in everyday communication, of which it is the most important. Being able to read body language consciously enables you to build great rapport with the other person. It gives you an advantage in being able to build a great relationship with the other person.
The advantages of this sort of skill can be readily seen in the fields of business and personal relationships. The great news is that reading body language it is a learned skill and can be done by anyone. Here is an online course that teaches you how to read body language effectively. Check it out and see for yourself.